The impact of the car crash led to a rollover into the ditch. Momentarily, you and your passengers believe that you are fine. But then you notice the blood streaming from injuries caused by shattered glass.
A number of injuries — some of which may be catastrophic and prove life-changing – can occur when bits and shards of glass rain down and hurl through the air after a motor vehicle collision. Deep cuts, eye injuries and even the loss of limbs are possible.
Brain injury to severe lacerations
We know that a number of all types of injuries may happen after a car crash. Internal bleeding from organ damage, spinal trauma and a traumatic brain injury are among them. In certain situations, shattered glass from a windshield, sun roofs and even storefront windows may be the cause.
Here is a list of some of those potentially catastrophic injuries caused glass:
- Traumatic brain injury: The impact of a crash may cause vehicle occupants to thrust forward, striking their heads into the windshield. The shattered glass may lead to brain bleeds and fractures of the skull along with months of rehabilitation.
- Spinal cord injury: Shattered glass may embed into a person’s body, damaging or even severing the spinal cord. Delicate surgery may be necessary in order to avoid paralysis.
- Limb loss: Larger pieces of glass may penetrate muscle tissue and bones, potentially leading to surgeons having to amputate a person’s hand, arm, foot or leg to save the victim’s life.
- Injuries to the eye: Glass pieces of small to medium size may penetrate a person’s eyes, leading to lifelong vision problems, blindness or scarring.
- Severe lacerations: Deep cuts may damage arteries, muscles and internal organs such as the liver, spleen, lungs and heart. Disfigurement also is possible. The lacerations may lead to severe blood loss and shock.
Catastrophic injuries can surface in a number of ways due to a motor vehicle accident. Glass-related injuries can be among the most severe.
You deserve compensation
The decisions made by a negligent driver contributed to these life-changing injuries caused by shattered glass. This is the time to seek a skilled legal advocate and pursue the compensation that you deserve.